Where you can read the relatively rational ramblings of a silly half-monkey, half-boy. This freak of nature is named Joel. He also responds to the name 'Bart Wang'.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sweet, sweet vacation...

That's right, Bill, I'm on holidays. Again. Dude, give me a break, it's been about a month and a half since I've had vacation. I finished work about two hours ago. It's been a stressful couple of weeks with work dealing me some challenging cases and then there was that whole stolen car dealie. Speaking of the car...

It's a write-off, apparently. The jerks that stole it broke the coat hanger clips in the back seat (one ripped out completely) and cut a small hole in the roof interior. The insurance company claimed that it would cost $2000 to replace that alone and $3200 in total for repairs (not including anything that was damaged in the engine). Today, I was told they would waive the deductible and would give me a whopping - are you ready for this? - $2964 for my car. No way, I say. To put it mildly, I'm anal retentive when it comes to automobile maintenance. I know I spend more than the average person because: A) I'm anal retentive, B) I don't know anything about cars, C) I can't do anything for myself, and D) I don't want to have my car die so I spend lots of cash to keep it in tip-top shape. I photocopied all the receipts since 2004 and sent them to the insurance company. Oh, and that amount they offered included my stereo and CD changer. They're cracked. I told her I expected $4000-5000. The car just passed 160,000km and it's a six-cylinder so it should have lasted another five-to-seven years. I could not find a car of comparable value/condition for $2500 (the amount they were offering before tax). DAMMIT! This sucks. I refuse to go into debt for a car and I don't think it's fair that I should suffer because I was robbed. That's why we pay insurance. And, given their response, this is why the insurance industry makes hand-over-fist in cash every year. My car was stolen and so is my money every month (in paying for insurance), evidently.

You may be wondering why I am not going to get the car repaired on my own. That was my first choice. My mechanic, however, recommended against it. He said that he has not seen many situations of stolen cars turning out well. We have no idea what else they did to the car and what condition the engine is in. Something could be seriously wrong and we wouldn't know until it was too late and I'd be up shit creek with only my arms to paddle. That's the way the saying goes, isn't it?

The thieving fools left their tools in my car. Did I mention that? I cleaned out my car of what was left yesterday, finding two of their flashlights, a pair of scissors and a screwdriver. Given that my job involves collecting evidence and since I watch a lot of C.S.I. and Law & Order: S.V.U., I thought these might be helpful in locating the criminals responsible. Did I mention it's my job to solve crimes? Apparently it is, since the officer involved (do you want her name and badge number because I have it) felt it was easier to just say, 'No known suspects'. Of course you don't know of any suspects because you made NO effort to look for evidence that would lead to a suspect. Am I pissed off? Damn straight.

A couple of you have told me you know people with cars for sale (privately or for a business). Thanks. I may be calling you for more information. And if you hear of any other options, let me know.

Tomorrow, we're heading up to the cottage in Barry's Bay for a week. Seven days of falling asleep on this very bed on which you see Laurie Castellani catching some shut-eye.
Something strange happens at the cottage. I cannot nap anywhere else in the world. I mean it - I am unable to sleep during the daylight hours if I am at home, in Mexico or wherever you want to suggest. But let me lie down on that single bed against the window with a book in my hands and I'll be conked out in a short period of time. It's really odd. And thoroughly enjoyable. Melanie works with a woman who not only knows where Barry's Bay is but has her own cottage there! For those who have visited, it's on the third lake (we stay on Trout Lake and there are culverts that connect it with two successive lakes). This woman told Melanie about a delicious treat in the little village of Wilno. They serve an all-you-can-eat buffet of authentic Polish food (pierogies, cabbage rolls, sausage and more) at the Wilno Tavern on the weekend. Guess who's fattening up this weekend?!? Yep, you guessed it. This guy...



Oh, ok, no, that's Fred. I meant to say, 'Me. Sorry, Fred. Go listen to Fred sing. He's really great.

Well, I'm going to watch the aforementioned Law & Order:S.V.U. You have yourselves a wonderful week. Try not to get into too much trouble. Oh yeah, congratulations to my friend, Michelle (a.k.a. Taylor) and her partner, Kevin, on the birth of their new baby boy, Samuel. Michelle actually like the name 'Joel' but Kevin thought it would be too weird since we're friends. I think I've blazed a marvelous trail that little Joel would be blessed to follow. That's it, I'm referring to him as 'little Joel' and disregarding what his parents have decided. It's for his own good. Hahaha.

For some good ol' indie rock, visit My Old Kentucky Blog. It's crumbelievable. And they feature some new Pigeon John! This track, Higher?!, is pretty catchy.


Melanie's friend, Catherine, got this picture in a Cambodian dance club, if I recall correctly. Freaking hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home